Sorry about the recent hiatus from posting. I am in the process of working with an editor on my book, workshopping my next book with a friend, trying to keep up with life stuff and staving off being a complete recluse during this stretch. It’s tough. I don’t know how people do it, especially those with families and real responsibilities. My responsibilities are very minor and when I drop the ball with them, the most that happens is that Breaking Bad doesn’t get Tivo’d or our bowling team is short a man. Not that serious.
Today’s highlighted link is for a series called ‘The Kingkiller Chronicles.’ I jumped into this series after about seven or eight people enthusiastically recommended it to me. I am about half way through ‘The Name of the Wind,’ the first book of the series, and I must say it is very good. After reading a lot of ‘Game of Thrones’ in the last year or so, I’ve come to expect most fantasy to be like that, but ‘The Name of the Wind’ is more like some strange fusion of the ‘Wheel of Time’ and ‘Harry Potter’ series. I haven’t finished the first book yet, but it’s good so far and the author Patrick Rothfuss is from Madison (one of the many places I’ve called home), so I thought I’d push it anyways. If the last half is nonsense, then I apologize and I’ll come back and update the post saying so. Until then, I give a firm endorsement to the first half of the book.
– Buy ‘The Name of the Wind’ (amazon)
– Kim Butcher Interviews Patrick Rothfuss (sf-fantasy)
– SF Signal’s Podcast Explores Under explored SF and Fantasy Themes (sfsignal)
– Av Club Reviews Grant Morrison’s ‘Supergods’ (avclub)
– Jane Friedman’s Aug 11th Seminar On Doing Your Ebook Right (guidetoliteraryagents)
– SF Book Cover Smackdown (sfsignal)
– Av Club Interviews Brendan Gleeson About His New Movie ‘The Guard’ (avclub)