This week’s writing links feature a review of Graham Joyce’s Some Kind of Fairy Tale, NPR’s user voted 100 best teen novels ever list, etiquette for proper beach reading material (in which a beach goer is criticized for bringing a book on string theory to the beach. I can’t lie. I did this once and it warranted a few odd looks from passing orange tinged Floridians), the announcement that Peter Jackson’s Hobbit adaptation will now be three films, SF Signal’s podcast on steampunk and the report card for Phillip K. Dick film adaptations.
Graham Joyce’s Some Kind of Fairy Tale seems to be the toast of critics right now, praised as a modern fairy tale done right. Joyce’s novel is described in AV Club’s review as an, “achingly resonant story of a broken man who’s found his long-lost sister. His prose and dialogue, even more than usual, are carved with balance, clarity, and subtlety.” Some Kind of Fairy Tale has been added to my reading que, but I haven’t quite gotten to it yet. I am still plowing through Hugh Howey’s engrossing sci-fi omnibus Wool, which I would also encourage people to check out.
In other news, The Hobbit is now officially three movies, which certainly seems to have brewed some grumblings from the fans (albeit minor grumbling, I would point out that they are far from mutinous). Three movies may be stretching it a bit since the book itself is just over 300 pages (which would put each respective movie at about 100 pages of source material to cling to), but truthfully, I’ll watch anything Peter Jackson puts up on the big screen. I just hope that the movies don’t suffer from bloating with filler material and forced subplots. Anyway, on to the writing links!
– AV Club Reviews Graham Joyce’s Some Kind Of Fairy Tale (avclub)
– 100 Best Ever Teen Novels (npr)
– Literature Greatest Author And Illustrator Duos (flavorwire)
– Literary Agent: Elizabeth Kracht Of Kimberley Cameron Associates (writersdigest)
– Webinar: John Cusick Teaches Writing And Selling Sci-fi/Fantasy For Kids (writersdigest)
– Sci-fi Movie Moments That Made Us Believe In Wonder (io9)
– AV Club On Robert Cormiers The Chocolate War (avclub)
– First Panoramic View Of Mars From Curiosity (examiner)
– SF Signal Podcast: Steampunk (sfsignal)
– What Is Proper Beach Reading? (npr)
– Peter Jackson Confirms The Hobbit Will Be Three Films (deadline)
– The Phillip K Dick Report Card (tor)
– Joss Whedon Directing Avengers 2 (io9)
– The First 40 Pages Of Richard Kadrey’s New Sandman Slim Novel (io9)