After 30 years, Stephen King is finally returning to the universe of ‘The Shining’ with his new novel ‘Doctor Sleep’. Read more about the release over on Sf Signal’s page, but for now, here is what we know about it from the posted synopsis:
On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and spunky twelve-year-old Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”
Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of devoted readers of The Shining and satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.
Make sure to keep an eye out for ‘Doctor Sleep’ when it releases September 2013. Until then, here are some links!
- Stephen King’s Shining Sequel ‘Doctor Sleep’ Coming in September 2013 (sfsignal)
- Matchbook Version of Fahrenheit 451 (imgur)
- 5 Sci-fi Writers Who Were Awesome Inventors Too (inktank)
- 10 Must Reads For March (flavorwire)
- 7 Things I’ve Learned So Far By Douglas Brunt (writersdigest)
- AV Club Reviews Karen Lord’s ‘The Best of All Possible Worlds’ (avclub)
- Joe Wright To Direct Adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s ‘The Ocean at The End of the Lane’? (avclub)
- The Best Places To Be If You Love Books (buzzfeed)